Special Melted Products – The Company
At Special Melted Products we have a long history, with a metals production lineage dating back to the 1800’s. The company has developed into a manufacturer of premium, speciality steels and nickel based Super Alloys used in critical applications for the Aerospace, Oil & Gas and Civil Nuclear industries. Our headquarters and main operational facilities are in Sheffield, UK, where we occupy 3 sites in close proximity with significant melting, forging and machining capabilities. We remain one of the few UK manufacturers of high-integrity re-melted materials and components.
We pride ourselves on having a world class team with exceptional capabilities, offering high levels of customer service and product innovation. In our chosen industrial field, we are a “one stop shop” for multiple melted alloys and components.
Atlas Works Production site
Atlas Works is where the primary VIM melting and secondary remelting is housed
Cyclops Works Production site
Cyclops is the home of the SXP65 GFM Rotary Precision Forge, Billet Conditioning facility and Precision Machining Facility
CTS Lab Production site
CTS is approximately 1 mile away from the manufacturing sites and is where the product testing takes place
Mutares acquires ATI’s Sheffield operations to form Special Melted Products
Commissioning of the precision machining facility
Allegheny Teledyne acquires the aerospace division of Sheffield Forgemasters
Introduction of VIDP and development of Datalloy
Firth Brown merges with River Don Works to create Sheffield Forgemasters
including Special Melted Products Ltd.
Commissioning of the radial forging machine
Introduction of VAR, VIM and ESR
Staballoy AG17 patented
Harry Brierly Brown develops the first stainless steel
Harry Brierly Brown Firth Research Laboratory
Thomas Firth & Sons is founded in Sheffield
Stainless Steel Made in Sheffield
The building known as the Brown-Firth Research Laboratories is the birthplace of stainless steel. From 1908 to 1915, Harry Brearley worked here as the first manager of the Laboratories. In August 1913, his research led him to the discovery that a 13% Chromium Steel had excellent corrosion resistance. He called his discovery stainless steel’ and pursued its technical and commercial development with outstanding genius and determination.
His successor Dr. W. H. Hatfield was instrumental in developing new high quality stainless steels including the 18/8 Chromium Nickel grade, now the most popular throughout the world.
The historic work carried out here made the name of this city synonymous with stainless steels, and laid the foundation for Sheffield’s still flourishing stainless steel industry.